Me!

Me!
Miss Missy Empress of the Universe

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Meet My New Hero -- Hamlet from the Black Cat Mystery Series!!!!!!


Meow Hamlet!  Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule of important cat stuff to chat with me.  And lest my readers think all you do is slumber among some excellent reads like Ali Brandon’s Black Cat Mystery series, eat an occasional snack and choose your human’s next big read, let me tell them, you are also quite the sleuth. 


Let me start with an easy one—what is it like living above and having access to a fabulous book store?

           

And meow to you, Missy. Actually, it is a busy life. Between naps, I spend my time making sure that the humans who work at Pettistone’s Fine Books are doing their jobs. They need much supervision, particularly Darla, who also happens to be my caretaker. But the bookstore is nice. Most of the time it is quiet—book buyers are mostly polite humans—and it is nice to be able to choose a different shelf each day for lounging.


How long have you been investigating crimes?


            You would think I had been doing it all of my lives, since I am so accomplished at pointing the paw at criminals! But, it is only since Darla took over the bookstore a few months ago that I have been involved in murder. For some reason, she seems to find herself involved in more unsavory situations than the average human.


What inspired you to start looking into those dastardly deeds some humans commit?


            Since Darla is my human family, and we felines are loyal animals, I have no choice but to assist her. I would prefer to nap, of course, but a cat must do what a cat must do. Besides, when Darla and her friends try to solve murders on their own, it is very disruptive to my nap schedule!


You have a great way of getting your human, Darla Pettistone, to do her part of the who-done-it.  How do you know which books to pick?


            As you know, felines are well-versed in human languages, but very few humans speak fluent cat. So I am forced to communicate in the only way that she can understand. Luckily, there are many books in our store, so I can almost always find exactly the title to express myself. It is not my fault if Darla is not always clever enough to figure out what I am trying to say.


Most people envision a cat’s life as being really pretty easy. What’s your take on this?


            Only a human would think our lives are easy! A feline’s life is actually very complicated. We must nap on a regular basis, and it difficult to stay asleep when humans are always interfering with our routines. And a cat cannot sleep just anywhere. The first step is to find every sunny spot in one’s home, and then rotate among them throughout the day. Laundry fresh out of the dryer will work in a pinch, but for some reason humans seem distressed when we take advantage of this convenience. I don’t understand that reaction, at all! I have also found a warm computer to be rather cozy if not as soft.


What is the most important thing a human should know about adopting a cat?


            We may pretend to be aloof, but felines require much love and attention from humans. I was a feral kitten, myself, and I was very lucky that Darla’s Great-Aunt Dee took me in before something bad happened to me on the streets. Some humans think we can survive on our own eating mice, but we are domesticated animals and must have proper food and water. Oh, and one other important thing. Dee made quite sure that I would be taken care of after she was gone (strange how humans have only one life). That is something that not all caretakers think to do for their felines!


Do you think you’d like a girl kitty to work with you?


            Perhaps, but she would have to be a very clever girl kitty, purrrrrrrrr.


What is the most glamorous thing you’ve done as crime solver?


            I fear that solving crimes is not as glamorous as it looks on television. I’ve had to get my paws dirty more than once to bring a human criminal to justice. But I believe that I have made an appearance on what humans call YouTube. (Shouldn’t it be called MeTube?)


Some humans think we black cats can be bad news.  I think we’re smarter than the average cat.  What is your take on that?


            All felines are smart but, yes, even mice know that black cats are the most brilliant and humble of all!


Which great human detective would you like to meet and solve a crime with?


            Mr. Sherlock Holmes would probably be clever enough to assist me. I have read his stories, and he is very cat-like. Though I am not sure I would like his pipe.


Looking over the past year, what has been the best moment for you in your sleuthing career?


            I cannot say too much in case there are humans who have not already read my stories, but I did save Darla’s life at great risk to my own.


Darla and Ali have gotten the call, a Hollywood producer is going to bring your series to the big screen.  Who do you want to speak your part for you?  You know, to share your thoughts as you solve each new crime?

            Hmm, that is an interesting question. There are many actors who might aspire to voice me, but I think that Robert Downey, Jr. would be the most appropriate choice. I am certain he would win an A-Cat-emy Award for that.


What are you working on now? Can you tell us a little about it?


            Ali Brandon has just finished recording my latest adventure which is titled FIGHTING WORDS. Someone at the dojo where Darla and Robert are taking karate lessons comes to a very unfortunate end. But, even more distressing, I find myself teamed up with a canine for part of the story!


Is there anything you’d like to add?


            I want to thank all the intelligent humans who read my mysteries. I hope you will “like” me on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/blackcatbookshopmysteries where I post my most clever observations. Ali Brandon is there sometimes, too.


Thank you for taking some time with us today!

            Thank you, Missy. Me-OOW!

You can learn more about my new hero, Hamlet, here!!!!!

1 comment:

Anna Gerard/Diane A.S. Stuckart said...

Hamlet the Cat and Ali Brandon say, thanks again Missy for a fun interview!